Wednesday, July 13, 2016

What NOT to Bring to College

 Since I have finished my Freshman year of college, I would like to believe that I know a thing or two of what NOT to bring to college. For a more in dept post about my freshman dorm check out: Dorm Room Tour | Freshman Year I posted a while back.  Many of you reading may be incoming freshmen who are shopping for your college dorm, so this post is especially for you. These are the things that I personally did not need for college, but you might think otherwise, which is perfectly fine.


Excess// 
Pillows & Decorations: My roommate and her parents definitely decked out her side of the room with much more decorations than you see on my side. Try to limit the amount of decor pillows because although it would look nice on your bed, your bed is only a twin (maybe XL). 
Towels: Of course you should have backup towels, but I found that I always seem to wash my towels when I needed new ones.
Makeup: Do not bring all of your makeup because I guarantee you will not feel like doing your makeup every single day. For me, I just stuck to a neutral face and picked out products that I could use every single day that is natural.
Purses and Bags; I brought all my purses to college, and used only two the whole year. Only bring the ones you know you are going to use. You already have a book bag, so sometimes I only carried my wallet key chain. My go to purse style are over the shoulder ones, and not the big handbags.

Clothes//
Trust me on this, I found myself wearing the same outfits, you do not need all of your clothes. I even thought that I downsized what I clothes I brought to college, but I still seemed to have more than I needed. Also, a nice tip is to switch out your wardrobe between seasons. Leave your high school tee shirts at home because in college you receive so many free t shirts, it's not even funny.

Bed Risers//
Most beds in dorms are able to be lofted, which raises your bed up without the need of bed risers. I saw in someone's dorm at my school who had a lofted bed and bed risers, which I thought was quite odd especially since she was short. Save go ahead and see if you school lofts your bed already and save some $$$.

Drying Rack//
I never used a drying rack and when I needed something to be dried I hung the item on a hanger, and then hung the hanger from my closet door. You definitely have to be creative in college, and since there isn't a lot of space in your dorm, try to consolidate.



There are many more posts out there about what to bring and what not to bring to college, but I hope you all enjoyed my list. 


Livin' and Stylin'

Sheika

Hebrews 6:19


2 comments:

  1. Such a helpful post, I'll be headed off to college in a few weeks so perfect timing!
    xo, Syd
    anchoredinthesouth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! Hope you have a wonderful semester!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...