Thursday, May 12, 2016

My College Experience | Freshman Year


In September, I did a post about what I learned in college so far. You all can check that post here: http://livinandstylin.blogspot.com/2015/09/college-life-what-ive-learned-from.html

While most of the advice from the previous post above still hold up true until this day, I have a few more advice to give incoming freshmen and also just to share my experience of my first year.

1. Sometimes you have to go with the flow | Obviously, not in all cases, but there were plenty of times when I didn't want to go to an event, but my friends convince me to go and I had a great time. Even when we leave campus, we could go out for one thing and end up somewhere else in Atlanta exploring, you just never know.

2. Your roommate may not be your best friend | I am so thankful that my roommate and I got along because we both did random selection. Even though we get along, she has her own group of friends and I have my group of friends. No doubt, we always say"hi" to each other when we see each other on campus, but we are not always hanging out together, which is perfectly okay.

3. Go to class | I know everyone is always saying that you should go to class, but attending a small university, the professors really do know who is and who is not coming to class. I found that others who did not come to class, did not perform as well on the exams, go figure. If you are not in class, how are you going to learn the information because a picture of your friend's notes might not always help.

4. Email your Professor and/or Go to Office Hours | I don't know about anywhere else, but at my university; the professors want you to learn and understand the material. Emailing my professors and going to their office hours definitely help me establish a relationship with them, but also let them know I am here to work hard and understand. Professors are so knowledgeable about the material, sometimes too much for their own good.. lol, but they are there to help you, so take advantage of their wisdom.

5. Frat Parties | The best part about going to a party - is the the dressing up part. Though the parties are fun, be responsible for you and your friends. Remember you are attending that college or university for 4 years or so, so you wouldn't want a bad reputation just because you did that "one thing, that one night" to determine who you are as a person for the rest of your college career.

6. Get Involved | I know you probably heard that you should join clubs and organizations, but seriously do it. I know some people we are not involved and are constantly saying that they are bored. First, they might be forgetting about an assignment, but also there is so many opportunities to get involve on campus, its not even funny. There is a club or organization for anything and everything, if there isn't, start one. Don't be cooped up in your room, get out, and get involved. Also, don't try to be in everything, where you don't have time for your school work.

7.  Sometimes you just want to be alone |  No matter if you and you're roommates are the best of friends, sometimes a break is good to rejuvenate yourself. I like being around people, but not 24/7 always talking, always doing something. Sometimes you just need to relax and be by yourself.

8. All-nighters are preventable | I am here to tell you that I went my first year without pulling an all-nighter. How? It's simply. Start your assignments early enough and give yourself enough time to complete assignments. I stayed up late, but not to the point where I didn't get any sleep. Manage your time. I know some people who are constantly talking about assignments they have to do. but they are constantly out. Don't be the person to skip one class to complete an assignment for another class, unless it's absolutely necessary.

9. Choose your schedule wisely | Yes, it's college, you get to pick you classes on what days and times. If you know you are not a morning person, do not choose morning classes, simple as that. Sometimes people do work better in the afternoon times.  For me, I rather take my classes in the morning (not 8 AMs) to have the afternoons free. Sometimes, certain classes are only offered during one specific time and day, so some classes might be out of your control.

10. Don't beat yourself up about a bad grade | Sometimes, you give it your all, and the grade you thought you deserve, you didn't receive. No worries, one bad grade will not determine your future. You will have time to bring it up, and always ask your professors about extra credit, it doesn't hurt.

11. Read the syllabus |  Some many times, people in class are repeatedly asking the professor when an assignment is due, and most of the professors just say it's in the syllabus. Honestly, if you read the syllabus, you would know when assignments are due, if the class has extra credit, and even the attendance policy. So the first week of each semester, take time to read the syllabus and plan for assignments being due in an agenda/planner. (This is also reiterated in my other college post link above.)

12. Have fun |  Though college is about learning, learn to let go and have some fun with your friends and be spontaneous while participating in different experiences.







Livin' & Stylin'

Sheika

Hebrews 6:19



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...